Monday, September 29, 2008

Food For Thought

In this article "Food For Thought", it tells us that we can know foreign cultures by eating their food. These national food tells the nation's internal interaction and how it wants to be seen from the outside. The indicator of historical relationships is those countires' cheap food; this reflects the deep history with the countries that produce the cheap food for them.
For me, I'm not really sure about this because I don't know a lot of history. But I think food tells me about how old of this country and its culture.

2 comments:

Alyssa R. said...

As an American, this article was interesting to me because I never really thought about how the price we pay for food (like cheap Mexican food) might relate to our historical ties. I don't think the US has really strong positive ties to Mexico - maybe that's why we associate it with cheap food. But other food, like Japanese and French food, is often more expensive. I wonder if this means our relationships with those countries are stronger?

What about in Thailand? Are there any types of food that are cheaper there that might signify a cultural relationship?

Melanie said...

As a french girl, I have never though about the relationship between cheap food and history too.
But after thinking more about this, it is true. In france, we have a lot of little fast restaurant where you can eat (not very good) good from North African.
It doesn't mean that this food is not good and cheap in general but in France, compare to other types of food, it is.